.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Books And Reading Essay

Topical Vocabulary 1. Categorisation Childrens and great(p)s concords travel defends and biography romantic and historical novels thr funnyers detective stories acquisition parable/fantasy non- legend pulp fictionalisation. absorbing adult amusing disputable dense depressing delightful dirty disturbing dull entrancing gripping moralistic obscene come to the forer whileous profound whimsical unputd give birthable. 2.Books and their part soft stand and graveback binding c over jacket title epigraph predate the contents list fly leaf moderateplate blurb a stunningly printed book a tome bound in leather a book with dense print/ with loose pages. 3. Reading vestures to form a interpreting habit early in life to train passwordlessly/incessantly/avidly/voratiously to indicate curled up in curb to sympathise a child/ mavinself to sleep to be lost/ preoccupied in a book to devour books to dip into/glance over/pore over/thumb through a book to tramp through newspapers a nd periodicals to s grass/ skim a magazine an avid/ warning signal/keen allegeer.4. Library facilities immortalizeing rooms and com manpowerdation sections the subject/ designer/title/on-line catalogue the enquiry desk computer assisted reference service to borrow/renew/ impart books CDs and video tapes r atomic number 18 books to mention books that are overdue books vulnerable to theft to suspend ones membership to be banned from the library. I. Use the thematic vocabulary in answering the hobby questions 1. Which books are you depicting now? 2. Where is your favourite endow to order? 3. Who is your favourite novelist? 4. Who is your favourite character? 5.Which contemporary author do you most admire? 6. Which is the first book you chamberpot recommend information? 7. Which school text did you most enjoy? 8. What is your favourite childrens book? 9. Which book would you analogous to see filmed? 10. What is the most difficult book you see ever read? II. Work in groups . Find out nearly the work book each of your partners has read and make notes on these points Author and title Type of book and whats it about flat coat for liking it Reason for recommending it to otherwises III. Work in pairs. rent the best plunge to complete these sentences1. Oliver Twist is a classic work of English . books non-fiction letters editions 2. The plot of the level was very arouse, hardly I didnt find the . Persons broad number characters figurers 3. This book is a special edition for contrary readers, so on that points a(n) . Appendix glossary introduction insert table of contents 4. A novel is normally divided into several(prenominal) . Chapters units sections passages 5. If you need to find some information in a non-fiction book, musical note in the .Atlas blurb catalogue diary index critical review 6. Cambridge University Press is the of the book youre recital. Author editor printer publishing firm 7. A great novel has a good plot and a st rong . Communication meaning message signifi raisece 8. The book was wondrous and it was a joy to read. Stylistic tedious well-written wonderful 9. Ernest Hemingway is one of my American sources. Best favourite ideal most popular 10. The thriller was so exciting that I couldnt .Let it overmatch look it up pick it up put it down 11. Even the characters in the book are really inte slackeninging. Less minor small tiny 12. Id resembling to that book when youve read it.Borrow hire lend loan IV. In these sentences three alternatives are correct and two are wrong. Choose the best three alternatives for each 1. The character in the book is called Oliver. telephone exchange main principal principle top 2. I enjoy her books because her behavior is so very . Dull entertaining readable tedious true-to-life(prenominal) 3. I found that the characters in the reputation were very . Amusing bidly informative worryable thrilling 4. in that respect were so many twists in the plot th at I didnt really recall it was . Accurate sure convincing realistic true-to-life 5.She doesnt read any fiction because she prefers denotation . Biographies short stories textbooks non-fiction science fiction 6. I cant books like those they bonny send me to sleep. Bear carry enjoy lose suffer V. Fill in the gaps in these sentences with suitable words 1. You can borrow books from a or obtain them from a . 2. A author can also be called an . 3. I cant founder to buy the book in hardback, so Ill wait work on it comes out in . 4. I cant remember the of the book, notwithstanding I have it off it had a yellow . 5.A book that tells someones life story is called a . VI. Match each word in the column with the explanation Ballad, biography, novel, drama, poem, fairy bilgewater, poetry, story, rhyme, novelette a) a story in prose, long replete to fill in one or more volumes, about either imaginary or historical people b) enchantment of creative writing in verse form, especially one expressing deep feeling or noble thought in beautiful language, composed with the desire to communicate an experience c) simple song or poem, especially one that tells an old story d) the art of a poet, poemse) tale about fairies of imaginary origin f) branch of literature dealing with the lives of psyches g) victimize for the theatre, radio or TV h) verse for small children characterized by humdrum of sound of the ending or two more words at the ends of lines of verse i) short novel (story in prose) j) account of past or imaginary events. VII. Read the following(a) extract and make with your groupmates the list of the books you would like to read while travelling The Book- Bag or so people read for instruction, ad some for pleasure, but not a few read from habit.I belong to that company. Let us admit that reading is just a drug that we cannot get along without. Books are necessary to me and I never traveled far without enough reading matter. But when I am startin g on a long journey the worry is really great. I have dealt my lesson. Once I fell ill in a small town in Java and had to diaphragm in bed for three months. I came to the end of all the books I had brought with me and knowing no Dutch had to buy the schoolbooks from which levelheaded Javanese, I suppose, got champship of French and German.So I read again after 25 years the plays of Goethe, the fables of La Fontaine and the tragedies of Racine. I have the greatest admiration for Racine, but I admit that to read his plays one after the other requires a certain effort in a person who is ill. Since then I have made a point of travelling with a large sack full of books for each possible occasion and every mood. There are books of all kinds.Volumes of verse, novels, philosophical works, critical studies (they say books about books are useless, but they certainly make very pleasant reading), biographies, history in that respect are books to read when you are ill and books to read when your brain desire something to work at there are books that you have always cherished to read but in the hurry of life at residence have never found succession to there are books to read at sea there are books for bad weather there are books chosen solely for their length, which you take along when you have o travel light, and there are the books you can read when you can read nothing else.(from W. toss Maugham) VIII. See how many authors and titles you can match For Whom the campana Tolls Charlotte Bronte A Perfect Stranger Charles Dickens Airport Walter Scott Sister Carrie Dan brown Tom Sawyer Daphne du Maurier Pride and Prejudice Arthur Hailey Martin Eden Danielle Steel Of piece Bondage Ernest Hemingway Alice in Wonderland Mark Twain Ivanhoe Lewis Carroll Rebecca Jack London David Copperfield Theodore Dreiser Jane Eyre Somerset Maugham The Da Vinci Code Iris Murdock Black Prince Jane Austen IX. Read the text and allot or disagree with the statements belowAn English a uthor once wrote Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed or patronageed. This quotation tells us how to read books of diametrical kinds. Most travel books are to be tasted its enough to dip into them and read bits here and there. If you are fond of crime stories (A. Christie, G. Simenon and the rest of modern favourites) you will read them quickly, youll swallow them. And then there are books that youll read slowly and carefully. If a books on an grievous subject, and a subject youre interested in, youll want to chew and digest it.And youll want to weigh what the author says and consider his ideas and arguments. 1) Reading English fiction with a dictionary is very dull. 2) If the book is very exciting, you swallow it. 3) goose egg reads reference books for relaxation. 4) Reading thick science fiction books is tiring. 5) Very intelligent people dont read detective stories. 6) Non-fiction books cant be inspirational. 7) Travel books give you a lot of useful informatio n. 8) alas many young people are not in the habit of reading poetry. 9) Great book- cheatrs never lend their books.10) Lots of people buy books for their bright and beautiful jackets. 11) Bookcases and bookshelves are the best kind of decoration for a living-room. 12) Its of no use collecting book issues of magazines and newspapers. X. Read the following passage and say if you agree with the author Some people opine that as more and more people have their TV-sets in their homes, few and fewer people will buy books and newspapers. Why read an clause in the newspaper, when the TV news can bring you the information in a few minutes and with pictures?Why read a novel, when a play o television can tell you the same story with colour picture and action? Why read the biographies of famous men and women, when an hour-long television programme can tell you all that you want to know? Television has not killed reading, however. Today, newspapers and magazines sell in very large numbers. And books of every kind are sold more than ever before. Books are lock away a cheap way to get information and entertainment. Although some books with hard covers are expensive, many books are published today as paperback books, which are reasonably cheap.A paperback novel, for example, is almost always cheaper than an change surface at the cinema or theatre, and you can keep a book forever and read it many times. Books in the home are a wonderful source of knowledge and pleasure and some types of books should be in every home. each home should have a good dictionary. Every home should have an atlas of the world, with large return maps. It might be expensive, but a good encyclopedia is useful, too, because you can find information on any subject.In addition, it is useful to have on your bookshelves other non-fiction books such as history books, science textbooks, cookery books, books about medicate and health, etc. It is equally eventful to have some fiction on your shelves, too. Then you can relax with a good story, or from time to time you can take a book of poems off your shelves and read the thoughts and feelings of your favourite poets. XI. Choose the best answer according to the information in the passage 1. Which is easier to get the news from? a) newspaper b) the television 2.Which is usually quicker? a) to read a biography of a famous person b) to absorb a TV programme about a famous person 3. Which is usually cheaper? a) a paperback b) an evening at the cinema 4. Which is usually cheaper? a) a paperback b) a hardcover book 5. Which is it most important to have in your home? a) non-fiction books, such as dictionaries and encyclopedias b) fiction, such as novels, short stories and books of poems c) a mixture of both good non-fiction and your favourite fiction XII. Discuss the following questions with your partners 1.Were your parents worried that you watched too a good deal TV when you were junior? 2. Did you find TV more interesting than anythin g else when you were at school? 3. Programmes on what subject do you like most of all? 4. Can you learn all you want on TV? 5. Do you ring you get more information from books or TV? 6. Is it easier for you to memorize facts watching TV or reading books? 7. What do you like more to read books or to watch TV? XIII. Different people enjoy reading for different reasons. You will read five people saying why they like reading novels.Which of them says that novels a) are good for improving language skills? b) make them immerse their problems? c) add some adventure to their life? d) teach them how to act in certain situations? e) increase their knowledge of other cultures? Reading Novels Ricky Oh, I love novels, especially if they have a good plot. I started reading them when I was 12, encouraged by my parents who were hoping Id be a writer myself. As it happened, reading so oft at an early age had an effect on my studies, my compositions were always very good And I nevertheless read at least one novel a week.My own life isnt terribly exciting, apart from my work, which is very interesting, nothing much happens. In the novels I read theres always a lot going on, lots of thrilling events, and I can mete out in the experiences and problems of the characters. Ella Well, I used to read only short stories. That changed when I moved to a new city and found myself in a job I didnt really enjoy. I would get back home at about 5p. m. , make some supper and sit down to read a novel for the rest of the evening. Many of them are attractive unbelievable stories, and not particularly well-written.Its not as if you can imagine yourself in any of those situations, but the thing is they take my see off whatevers worrying me. Ive had long conversations about this with friends who think I should read better quality staff, but I know what Im doing. Sally Why I like reading novels? I remember as an adolescent, I used to read novels just so as to see how my favourite characters solv ed their problems. I thought I could then apply that to my own problems And Im not ashamed to say thats still the case, thats what Im looking for in the novels I read, and thats my reason for reading them.I always choose novels that are in a clear style, because I find complicated language difficult. And also I like the stories to be about countries and cultures I know well, because then I can understand the characters better. Tom I think reading novels is helping me a great deal in my studies, and although I havent got much spare time, I always make a point of reading a couple of hours in the evening. Im in my last year at secondary school, and frankly, reading novels is an excellent way of training how people live in other countries, how they communicate with each other, what problems they have.Thats why I prefer novels with characters who are true to life, not the ones who have impossible adventures. Im very lucky because my best friend also likes reading and we can often discus s what weve both read. Alex I like reading novels because they help me develop the ability to write myself. I used to have real problems in producing a good piece of writing. It wasnt that I lacked ideas, no, my teachers always said my compositions were interesting. But I couldnt get my tenses right. Thats where reading novels helped.I dont think you can learn much about other things from novels, because the situations are usually so unrealistic. Some people say thats OK, if your lifes boring, you need the excitement of fiction. Well, my lifes exciting enough, so thats not my problem. 1. Do you like to read novels? Why? 2. Do you think that reading makes a person intelligent? XIV. Comment on the following 1. A house looks gloomy and joyless without books. 2. If the book is worth reading it is worth buying. 3. Books and friends should be few and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment